Padula & Associates, LLC Washington Criminal Defense Attorneys, Bellevue - SeattleDUI and Criminal Defense Attorneys

Call Now 425-883-3366

What You Need to Do if You Have an Arrest Warrant

Posted Thursday, May 18, 2017 by Lizanne Padula.

alt text

Dealing With a Warrant

If you know you have an outstanding arrest warrant, you need to take action immediately. Do not assume it will all somehow blow over. It won’t unless you speak with an attorney and get the warrant resolved. Unfortunately, many people don’t know what to do and choose to try and ignore it. For obvious reasons, this is a bad idea. If you have an outstanding warrant in Washington State, here is what you should know:

If you have an outstanding warrant, you need to take steps to quash this warrant. This is the only way to eliminate the risk of being arrested. The specific process for quashing a warrant can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but, in general, there are a few different ways you can do this.

Option One: You can turn yourself in to be arrested. In most jurisdictions, this will mean at least a night in jail and then a court appearance where the judge may hold you in custody or release you. This certainly isn’t going to be easy or painless. Luckily, you have other options.

Option Two: You can contact the court that issued the warrant to discuss your quashing options. This could be a Municipal, District or Superior Court. Depending on the court, you may be able to schedule a new court date. This may also involve payment of a warrant-quashing fee. In some felony cases; however, scheduling a new court date will not necessarily mean your warrant is quashed. If you have an outstanding felony warrant, you need to speak with an attorney about what you should do. If the warrant is not actually quashed, you can still be arrested until you appear in court and the court agrees to quash the warrant. An attorney can advise you on this process.

Option Three: You can arrange to post bail with the court that issued the warrant. We recommend Lacey O’Malley Bail Bonds if you choose this route. Gayle and Denny will treat you with respect and get your bail posted quickly.

Although you may be able to handle the initial process of quashing your warrant on your own, an attorney can make sure everything is handled quickly and successfully.

If you have a warrant, you should speak with an experienced Washington criminal defense attorney right away. Your options for quashing the warrant will depend on a few factors, such as what court issued the warrant, how many times you have failed to appear in court whether you have the ability to post bail. An attorney can help you identify your options and select the option that is right for you. Lastly and, most importantly, after you get the warrant quashed you will need an attorney to help you resolve the criminal charge that lead to the warrant.

If you have a warrant, the skilled attorneys at Padula & Associates, LLC can help you clear it as soon as possible. Our attorneys are experienced in all aspects of criminal defense and can help with your case every step of the way. For more than 20 years, Padula & Associates has been serving those in King County, Snohomish County and throughout Washington State with aggressive criminal defense services. Call us 24/7 at 425-883-3366, email us at or fill out our online free consultation form today.